Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Skyline Chili

This is for Gene!

2 pounds ground beef
3/4 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. onion powder
3/4 tsp. paprika
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. rosemary
1/4 tsp. all spice
3/4 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. thyme
1/8 tsp. oregano
1 large can of tomato juice

Brown meat and drain grease. (I then place mine in a crock pot- it is the easiest way, or you can do on the stove in a pan) Add all ingredients to meat. Pour can of juice on top. Add a little water to cover all. And simmer.
This is the easiest thing to make. We make homemade 3 ways and coneys too.
The only reason my friend believed that it wasn't canned Skyline was because the meat wasn't as fine.

Hope you all enjoy!

6 comments:

Angie D said...

I'm making it this weekend. And I might actually let Gene eat some... (maybe...)

Carrie said...

Hmm. I'm pretty skeptical of Skyline recipes, but this is one I'll have to try. So how DO you get the meat fine enough?

Jana said...

Can't wait to try this!! That's quite a combo. of spices.

Les said...

When you brown the meat, just try to chop it as fine as you can. It will never be as fine as the real thing.

Martha C said...

Sigh. . .I don't have all of those spices, and I forgot to pick up the little packets while in Cincy! Bummer.
Hint on the meat - run it through a chopper or blender, and it will be "fine."

The Dickinsons said...

Hey, Les, thanks for signing my blog. It was nice "meeting" you! =) I see your name a lot on Carrie and Martha's blogs too. Thanks for the skyline chili recipe...I have another recipe, but I'll have to try yours too...AFTER I RUN OUT OF THE PACKETS...which will be soon. =( The only thing I do differently with my Skyline...is I do not fry my hamburger (cause they packets tell you not to), I just cook it raw, and I break it into little pieces while it's cooking. Your recipe sounds good, I'll look forward to trying it, though not sure if I can find all of those spices here! =)
Have a wonderful day, and thanks again for your nice comment! =)

Love, Heather =)