Friday, May 4, 2007

Andrew

This is Andrew Scott. His middle name is after his father. He was born Dec. 30, 1997. I was due on Dec. 16th. I had the cute baby's first Christmas outfits that went unworn. He weighed in at 9lbs. 13oz. and 22 and 1/2 inches long. (Yes, God gave me hips to deliver large babies!) He has never been small a day in his life. He is built for football and loves to play it. When all the other moms are nervous about their "little boys" getting tackled, I'm the mom of the boy doing the tackling. Obviously, I'm not nervous about him playing, he is the biggest kid on the team. At last check, he is 4ft. 10in., and weighs 117lbs. (Did I mention I grow them big?) He has a very strong personality. I give him credit for not being fake. Andrew is who he is, all the time. He is the one I always thought would be sent to the school office in trouble. Thankfully, that has yet to happen. He is a very bright child. In fact, in recent years, we have come to realize how smart he is. With his personality type, he doesn't "ooze" brillance. At his conference in Nov., his teacher told us she believed he had already benchmarked 3rd grade and possibly 4th. (This was at the beginning of 3rd grade) The really cool thing about his type of personality is, he asks every teacher if they are a christian. This usually occurs prior to the first full week of school. We are in the public school system, and have had christian teachers to this point. (My older son's teacher this year is an atheist- I wonder if Andrew will have her) He doesn't make fun of kids with disabilities, he has a very soft spot for them. His current teacher's brother has Down's Syndrome and volunteers in the classroom. His teacher cried when she told me how thankful she was to have Andrew in her class since he treated her brother like he was no different. That made me cry too! He befriended a boy with a muscle disease, and some degree of mental retardation (a lot like his brother) and made sure he played with him at recess. These are the things that make me most proud, and I need to remind myself of when he doesn't want to listen to anything I have to say! He does spend a lot of his time grounded (currently), but I couldn't, and wouldn't want, to imagine life without him! We love you Andrew!

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Andrew sounds like a real sweetheart!

Michelle said...

What a great kid! Thanks for sharing.

Brenda said...

Sounds like he's a really nice kid.

Angie D said...

He sounds like a keeper. I too have the hips for big boys, but still got runts. Go figure...