Tuesday, September 11, 2007

May We Never Forget

This is the phrase we so often hear associated with todays date. I often think how could anyone forget? The sad part is so many people do. No matter what your feelings are about the war, the reason we have our troops over seas is because of today's date. Growing up my mom always said she'd never forget where she was when Pres. Kennedy was assassinated. The closest I came to that was when I was in the 7th grade and the Challenger exploded. I was in history class when the anouncement came over the speaker and we were asked to pray. That feeling can never compare to how I found out about the World Trade Center. We were in the process of moving from northern Ky. back up to Cincinnati. I was staying with my parents while we were working on our house so my oldest son could start kindergarten. Scott was still staying at our other house during the week. ( His job is by the airport and he ships things by air.) I had just dropped Joshua off at school and didn't have the radio on. When I arrived back at my family's home, Andrew, who was 3, came running up to me and said "A plane hit a big building and it exploded". I had no idea he was serious. My step-mom was watching the news and Andrew was in the room with her and he saw the whole thing happen. I had to tell Joshua when I picked him up before he saw Andrew. This was all Andrew talked about for days. He had no idea what he had witnessed on the t.v. I had to drive to our old house that day and it was so eerie. The noise of the planes was always around, and this day was quite. I was even concerned about my husbands job. How long would this go on? Would it affect how he worked? I cried for days. My biggest issue has always been that these terrorists took OUR people and turned them into bombs for their evil use. The people on those planes has always bothered me the most. I can't believe it's been 6 years since that horrible day. Things have changed in our world. I continue to pray for this country and its leaders. I especially pray for our military. Today all my boys proudly are wearing their Marine Corp. shirts. They are honoring their uncle (my bil) who will be deployed for his second tour of Iraq Nov. 1st.
God Bless the U.S.A. and may we never forget.

3 comments:

Martha C said...

Amen!
I remember crying for weeks over the pain of my fellow countrymen.

The Dickinsons said...

I too will NEVER forget that day. Long story short, my husband, Phillip had flown to Hawaii and then had gotten on a Navy ship as a part of 1,000 guests for a week, and this HUGE NAVY ship (aircraft carrier) was on it's way back from Hawaii to California when 9-11 happened. I was by myself in AZ with 2 small girls...and we lived 1 1/2 miles from the airport! I was sooo nervous as to what could/would happen in those next few days, and as to WHERE my husband was, and HOW OR WHEN he would come home. I also felt soooooo BADLY for those hurt, wounded or that lost family members and was/am still very CROSS at those who did this HORRIBLE DEED!

Thanks for your nice comment on my blog. You wanted to know my Kimberly's age, and she is 9 1/2 and will be 10 in Jan.

Have a GREAT night in Jesus,
Love, Heather =)

Brenda said...

Yep, I remember exactly where I was when I heard the news too. I was on my way to work and the 2nd plane hit shortly after I arrived at work. The insurance company I worked for had a prayer meeting. About 400 employees came together and we prayed and sang God Bless America. Pretty amazing for a secular workplace.